Thursday, February 21, 2008

Indulgence

When my little girl comes, I won't get to lollygag.

She will wrestle with shoes, bibs, and other impossible foes for hours on end, but it won't be my turn. "No time for love, Dr. Jones", as the spry young Asian child notes in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I must constantly forge ahead without delay if I'm to accommodate this new life.

Most things will survive. It is not the end of the world. My wife and I have a good relationship and communicate on many levels. Friends and family will understand. Jobs will adapt. We'll manage.

But I have to fucking finish His Dark Materials and Mass Effect! Oh man! These indulgences are only good in 1-3 hour sessions.

Mind you, I'm not stupid. I know I will have time spans like this again to play games and read books... but not for a long, long time. Until that baby has a regular sleep schedule, I'll be taking naps every spare second I have. Trains, late nights at home, these will no longer be respites for anything other than sleep. And you see, these are sprawling epics I'm immersed in. If I don't finish I will have to push the pause button for months! I don't know if I can handle it.

Wish my retinas and I luck, I'm pushing my cones and rods to the limit.

No comments: